Purpose of the procedure
A biopsy of the heart provides tissue samples of the heart muscle. The tissue samples are tested to see what is causing the problem with your heart. Knowing the cause of the problem will determine what treatment is best.
Description of the procedure
You will receive medications during the procedure to keep you comfortable and relaxed. During the procedure, a bioptome (thin tube) is inserted through a large vein in the neck or the groin, and passed up and in to the heart. On the end of the bioptome is a small pincher. Using the x-ray machine as a guide, the doctor snips a sample of the inner muscle of the heart. It does not hurt when the sample is taken but you may feel a few extra heartbeats. The tissue sample is then sent to the lab to be analyzed.
How long will the procedure take?
The test may take ½ hour. With the preparation and recovery time, you will be in the hospital for approximately 2 hours.
Preparing for the procedure
- Do not eat or drink after midnight the night before the procedure
- Unless you have been given specific instructions take all of your usual medicines with a small sip of water the morning of the procedure
- Bring a list of all your medicines with you
- Make arrangements for someone to drive you home following the procedure
After the procedure
- You will remain in the recovery area for approximately 1-2 hours after the procedure and then you will be discharged.
- If the tube was inserted through the vein in your groin, you will need to lie flat for a short period following the procedure.
- You will have a small bandaid over the insertion site.
- When the nurse determines that it is safe, you will be able to eat and drink.
- You must have someone with you when you are discharged.
- You cannot drive yourself home.
- For the next 24 hours, you should not operate heavy machinery, or make any important decisions.
- Your doctor will give you specific instructions on when you can drive.
Where do I go for the procedure?
Radiology Department, 2nd Floor, Providence II Building
Phone Number: 604-806- 8437